A graduate nursing student embarks on a path of health gain and weight loss through the LapBand procedure. Watch and learn, kids.

September 16, 2006

A Hint of Black Bean?






Ah, Saturday. I was gonna sleep in but hell, I just can't anymore. Perhaps this is because of my age? 27 never seemed old but some things just are different now than when I was 21, for example. Today my lady and I went out for tea/coffee and sat by Greenlake with our (rowdy) dogs, watching little boys play soccer. They were so so cute, such chutzpah they all have! And they come in so many varieties--the arrogant ones, shy ones, Mama's boys, tough ones, ones that really don't want to be there at all (that was me, I hated soccer..later in life I took up boxing..that's a different blog entry though...). I hated soccer because it involved running. On the other hand, boxing just involves getting hit...way better, obviously! Anyway...

Then we went shopping, woohoo. We needed new pillows and I wanted a santoku knife..go figure, everyone lusts for something.

But the cool thing I found today was "Hint" water. It is a flavored, non-sweetened, non-carbonated water that is SO SO SO good. I bought the pomegranate-tangerine and it was amazing, couldn't believe it was au naturel. It comes in other flavors like lime, tropical punch, peppermint (funky), pear, plain, apple, and cucumber (super funky). I bought it at QFC, for those of you in Seattle. It is more expensive than usual water, but it isn't something you'd just chug, you actually put it on ice and savor it.

Physically, I'm feeling better, although my incisions itch like crazy. I put some hydrocortisone around my port incision, that seems to have helped. My belly gas is getting better each day, and it is no longer as uncomfortable to sit..getting better. Appetite wise, it is back, but not NEAR as much as before...maybe 1/10 my pre-band appetite. I've been eating a lot of blended soups and such today, and I made a black bean soup (see below) which I think is pretty kick-ass. Very easy, very good for you..I was going to add some silken tofu to add protein but forgot to get it at the store. Oh me...

Funny, I see that over 400 people have seen this blog..who are you?! Tell me tell me, please leave comments, I'm curious who's readin' all this.

Happy day, folks.

Nurse Bandit


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Black Bean Soup ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


2 cans black beans (3 if you want it thicker)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
1 heaping teaspoon cumin
1/2 cup cream/milk
Tabasco and red pepper, to taste
Chopped green onions and/or cilantro (optional)
Sour Cream

Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan and saute onions, celery, and garlic, stirring occasionally until tender, around 3-5 minutes. Stir in beans, chicken broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes.


Cool slightly and puree the soup in in a blender. Return to pot and blend in cream. Season with hot sauce and red pepper to taste. Heat gently and serve in deep bowls sprinkled with onions/cilantro and sour cream


2 Comments:

Blogger Reinventing Fran said...

Hi Nurse Bandit. Came by to say hi and welcome to the banded and Blogger communities. I'll be back!
Frances

9:29 PM, September 16, 2006

 
Blogger Just Me. said...

Hello Nurse Bandit. I stumbled on your site because I am researching the whole banding thing. I had never considered it till now, I've just been feeling hopeless in my quest to lose weight. It's good to read up on people who are going through it. My blog is going-to-lose-it.blogspot.com
Although to be truthful, nothing interesting yet. I'm going to a lap-band orientation on Monday.

12:44 PM, February 03, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Web Page Visitor Counters
Geo Visitors Map